Monday, April 18

Recipe | Thyme Cheese Scones #CTGrowYourOwn

It has been so long since I've done a lot of baking, let alone a recipe post. I've gone savoury for once which is so unlike me. Cheese scones just remind me of that bit on Miranda where Gary makes savoury muffins and Miranda is so disgusted by the thought but alas I thought I would give savoury scones a go.
As part of the Cotton Traders Grow your own campaign I was sent a herb kit which included seeds for sage, basil and thyme plants. I have so little success with these herb kits so I'm hoping this attempt at growing may go slightly better!
After my mum had a rather successful homemade afternoon tea last week I decided to steal her recipe for the scones.
Ingredients
225g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 pinch of salt
50g butter
85g extra mature cheddar
6 thyme sprigs
150ml milk
1 egg yolk
Method
1 | Heat oven to 200C fan/gas mark 7.
2 | Put the flour, baking powder and salt into the bowl. Rub the butter into the mixture into it resembles breadcrumbs - you can easily do this in a food processor if you like.
3 | Add the cheese, thyme leaves and milk and bring together to form a soft dough.
4 | Tip onto a lightly floured work surface and roll to about 1.5cm thickness.
5 | Cut out 12 scones with a 5cm cutter and place onto a lightly floured baking tray.
6 | Mix a tbsp milk with the egg yolk and brush on top of the scones.
7 | Bake for 10-12 minutes until well-risen and golden, leave to cool on a wire rack.
8 | To serve, split the scones in half, and put your favourite chutney on.

If you want some more recipe ideas using herbs, check out the website here.

If you liked this post be sure to check out my Macaroni Cheese Recipe & Welsh Cake Recipe.

Come and find me on:
 Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin

*A voucher was provided to cover ingredient costs and my own herb kit but all thoughts and ideas my own. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Kath & Cake | UK Lifestyle Blog. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig