Thursday, October 15

Life: Gas Street Social, Birmingham

I'm all over the UK for the next few weeks and the start of my travels began with a trip home. I decided to treat my lovely mum for a birthday lunch which suddenly got a little extravagant with the addition of prosecco. After meeting her at Birmingham New Street station which is looking all flash, we popped to John Lewis to use our free coffee and cake vouchers as they were expiring that day!
After a little mooch, we headed towards the Mailbox (got lost in the lift area - how are they still rebuilding?!) and decided upon Gas Street Social. I really struggle with places to eat in Birmingham as although I've lived 20 minutes from it for 20 years it's only the past few years that I've ended up spending quite a lot of time there.

Excuse the iPhone photos but with all the travelling panic I managed to forget my camera. The bad blogger in me managed to forget to take a picture of the menu their website has come to the rescue.
There was a set menu kinda thing going on but we decided to go for 4 of the social plates as they were £4 each and it was the perfect amount of food.
Salt and Pepper Crispy Squid. I always want to order squid because it's just about my favourite thing in the world but people can get it so wrong. Luckily I really enjoyed these and they didn't stick around for long.
Crispy Arancini Balls. I loved these. They came with the garliciest(?) dip ever, good job I wasn't going near anyone for the rest of the day.
Bourbon Glazed Wings. Possibly my least favourite of the bunch, it was a struggle to actually find any chicken on the wings but the sauce was pretty nice Luckily these came with wet wipes as these did get a bit messy.
Finally a mini Fish & Chips served with mushy peas and tartare sauce. Usually I want my mushy peas like ones from the chippy - not resembling a pea at all - but I ended up really liking them. I wasn't a fan of the chips but my mum was so you'll just have to try them yourself.
I'm yet to try a cocktail here because if you don't come at happy hour they are an eye-watering £8 and above(!). I'm on a student budget (she says ordering prosecco...) But if you come between 4 and 7pm a few of the cocktails are 2 for £10 which is slightly better but still not the best deal for cocktails.
Gas Street Social
166 - 168 Wharfside Street
The Mailbox
Birmingham
B1 1RL
See you soon, Birmingham. Now I'm off to Wales!

Do you have any recommendations for places to eat in Birmingham?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Kath & Cake | UK Lifestyle Blog. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig