Tuesday, May 23

New Zealand Travel Diaries #6 | Franz Josef & Wanaka

Franz Josef
After a breakfast of bacon, pancakes and maple syrup at Lake Mahinapua we drove to Franz Josef. We spent the afternoon recharging at the hostel.The next day I was booked onto the Glacier hike. 
I was super lucky as our group was one of only three that managed to do the hike that day due to the change in weather. They had to carve a helipad into the ice to make sure we got out in time. It was an incredible experience and I thoroughly recommend it if you have the opportunity. It includes a 10 minute heli ride to and from the glacier itself and walking on the glacier with all your gear. SO much fun.



Wanaka
A super early start from Franz Josef to Wanaka was next up and we stopped off at Lake Matheson and a few other photo stops including Thunder Creek Falls, a 96m waterfall, where we were promptly attacked by sand flies (the worst) every time. 

We arrived in Wanaka mid-afternoon. I would have loved to stay an extra night here as I didn't really see much of it but I was running out of free time at this point. A group of us managed to claim the cinema room at the hostel and found a rogue copy of Bridget Jones' Baby to watch in the evening. The less said about the 2am fire alarm the better... I was so looking forward to a full night of sleep. 

See the rest of my New Zealand posts here!
Come and find me on:

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Kath & Cake | UK Lifestyle Blog. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig