Saturday, May 27

New Zealand Travel Diaries #8 | Lake Tekapo & Christchurch



We've finally reached the end of my Kiwi Experience. My final post includes the beautiful Lake Tekapo and my last destination, Christchurch. 

Lake Tekapo
Leaving Queenstown, sore heads in tow we were blessed with incredible views for the entire drive to Lake Tekapo. We stopped at Lake Pukaki to see Mt Cook which thanks to the storm in Australia was covered in snow. Before checking in to the lodge at Lake Tekapo we stopped at the Church of the Good Shepherd which had an incredible backdrop for photos. From the lodge we walked the short but steep walk up Mount John to see a view of the whole area as the sun was setting. Lake Tekapo is meant to be incredible for star-gazing but the few people that did get up at a ridiculous hour to check it out weren't massively blow away so I guess it depends how much sleep you need. There is also an opportunity to 'glamp' at the Kiwi Exp recommended accommodation, bell tents with proper beds. They looked amazing but were unfortunately fully booked for when we were there.
Christchurch
Leaving Lake Tekapo, we stopped for a quick coffee break before driving on over to Christchurch. The area is still rebuilding from the massive earthquake in 2011 so it was quite chaotic to get around as many of the roads are closed. The RE:Start Mall is a load of shipping containers with shops and cafes in and I definitely recommend a visit. Other things to check out include the 2011 Earthquake Memorial, both the official and temporary one whereby each chair represents a victim of the disaster and the Botanical Gardens are stunning to spend an afternoon in.
This is where my journey came to an end and I got the bus to the airport in the pouring rain. I was so gutted to be heading home after an incredible month. I have one more post lined up with my highlights of my trip and a few tips if you're heading to New Zealand any time soon so keep your eyes peeled for that (or ignore if you're truly sick of these posts now!).

If you've missed any of my New Zealand posts you can find them all here!
Come and find me on:

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Kath & Cake | UK Lifestyle Blog. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig