Thursday, April 30

Couch 2 5K: The first two weeks

I'm not a natural athletic by any stretch of the imagination but something needed to be done about the amount of cake I'd been eating. I could give up cake (sacrilege I know) so thought it best to get exercising and cut down on the cake, just slightly. In a moment of madness I signed myself up for the Great Birmingham Run in October (eek!). I will probably be walking most bits of it but I just want to finish it.

Now a little bit of context, I dip in and out of exercise, I'm either doing it every other day or not at all. I prefer Pilates and Yoga which I can do in the comfort of my own home where no one can see me. I felt like setting myself a challenge so what better than a half marathon (am I completely barking?!). I've tried running before but just not managed to stick to it and always found a reason not to go.
I decided to start with the Couch to 5K as it has rave reviews from so many people.
Week 1 was bearable with 60 seconds of running, followed by 90 seconds of walking for 20 minutes. I started this at home and then continued it back in Sheffield which is remarkably more hilly and therefore a bit more tricky!
I moved on to week 2 which is 90 seconds of running, followed by 2 minutes of walking. So far so good, apart from Tuesday's run being absolutely freezing and windy - where did the nice weather go?! I've been trying to find different routes that possibly don't involve as many hills but that's seemingly impossible round Sheffield although it does mean I get some epic views. The photo below was actually taken when it had snowed in January this year but just imagine that's not there. I'm really enjoying it so far as it's getting me up early to start the day so hopefully this continues. I think I need to add in some pilates as well to help increase my fitness so if anyone has any recommendations let me know!
Running a half marathon feels a long way away but I'm hoping once I've completed a 5k I can up the ante on the training! Today marks Day 1 of Week 3 so let's hope I've managed it. I'll check back in a few weeks time - remind me on twitter (@KathrynLouise_) if I haven't!! In the mean time I think I might treat myself to some new gym clothes...
Photo credit: Pinterest
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Kath & Cake | UK Lifestyle Blog. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig